I was really excited to search deeper about blog commenting since I am new to blogging. I wanted to learn the purpose of blog commenting and how to write one that will be effective to the author as well as readers.
I came across this video from Chris Pirillo who is an experienced bloggers and he gives a Top 5 to do list created by Casio Angelis.
- Read the post! (make sure you know what you are commenting about)
- Post relevent information( don’t ramble on about something that has nothing to do with the author’s topic. He also suggested relating the topic to a personal experience)
- Word count ( don’t just leave one or two words like “Hi!”, but also don’t write a lot, bloggers don’t have time to read a book, so be short and to the point!)
- Spell check (make sure your spelling is write so you can be understood, if no one can understand what you are writing your comments will probably go unnoticed)
- Be respectful(Don’t write anything nasty on a post even if you don’t agree. Like your mother taught you “If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all.”)
Another post by Judy Dunn,10-reasons-no-one-notices-your-blog-comment
talks about reasons that your comments may be going unread.
One point that stood out to me that i didn’t know was, by leaving comments you are creating a way to get more traffic going to your blog. Blogging seems to be a give and take relationship.
also check out
which puts a marketing spin on blog commenting rather then for personal use.
I hope this post gave you some new ideas on how to write an effective comment!
Now go out there and get commenting:)